Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Clean Eating Shrimp Awesomeness

Clean Eating Shrimp Scampi
(Googled "clean eating shrimp" and came to http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/)

1 pound package of frozen, small salad shrimp (I used a 1 1b. bag of frozen shrimp from Trader Joe's)
zest of two lemons
juice of two lemons
2 tbsp dried parsley (I omitted this for really no reason, I think I just forgot) 
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 lb whole grain pasta (I used gluten free, wheat free, lactose free pasta by Schar)
1 bag fresh, wild arugula (I added this myself, you could use spinach too)

Directions

Step 1 – Place frozen shrimp into a non-stick skillet with oil. Cook shrimp until they are mostly cooked and there is a nice bit of liquid in the pan (this will become your sauce)
Step 2 – Add everything else except the pasta.
Step 3 – When the shrimp is done and the flavors of your sauce have melded nicely, remove from heat.
Step 4 – Serve over pasta with a little parmesan, salt and pepper for taste.
















My notes: This dish was VERY easy to make and VERY, VERY tasty!  The mix of the lemon zest and lemon juice with the garlic powder was so light and flavorful.  My home quickly filled up with a fabulous aroma!  It took me all of 15 minutes to prep this meal.  I added the arugula for some color and get some veggies in.  I have never cooked arugula but it was quite good.  For those of you who think arugula is too bitter for you - cooking it in the lemon sauce quickly gets rid of that bitterness (acutally cooking anything in lemon juice will reduce bitterness).  It adds great color and texture! 

My husband said...."You have outdone yourself with this meal!"  He is never one to really go crazy about my cooking (he likes it, he's just a man of few words).  I was thrilled to hear him say that.  So it must be tasty!

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment